Wednesday, August 25, 2010

HE'S A TRAMP AND I LOVE HIM

I love this pic of Tramp. When he get's his summer cut, it reveals the black stripe down his back - it makes him even cuter.
I don't know why it has taken me so long to write this post but it is long overdue.

Tramp came into my life close to sevens years ago now. It was a stormy night and my mom was trying to get the Thanksgiving groceries into the house without getting totally drenched when she looked down there was this soaked but adorable dog. Tramp, as he would become known, started jumping on my mom with his tail wagging a mile a minute.

My mom didn't have the heart to send Tramp back into the storm and decided she'd care for him while trying to find his owners. This was fine with my 7 year old nephew who wanted a dog of his own. Christopher bathed Tramp, walked and fed him and spent too much time playing and falling in love with him. Asking people in the neighborhood, calling the shelter and placing an ad didn't find Tramp's  owners. It was decided that Christopher would get Tramp for Christmas. 

I came home for the holidays and having heard all about Tramp. On the night of the 23rd, I had just walked Tamp and my dog Truvy and as I was taking of their leashes, Tramp pushed the door open and was gone like a shot. This wasn't the first time Tramp had made a break for it, he had taken off several times but my nephew was always able to catch him. I chased after him for over a mile but every time I got close , he'd just sprint away. I knew I had just broken my nephew's heart and dreams and ruined his Christmas.
I love letting Tramp's fur grow out and getting all fluffy!
He is a pedigree Cairn Terrier (same as Toto), is almost ten years old and about 3 lbs overweight which is a lot when you only weigh 20 lbs, but we're working on it.
But I also love his summer cut. (taken the same day as above)
We searched the neighborhood, checked the shelters and eventually placed an ad. Nothing. Then, one day, about a month after Tramp took off, we got a call. This college kid had found Tramp and like us, had taken care of him will trying to find his owners. It turns out, he had found Tramp's owners but didn't like them. He said that they seemed disappointed to have Tramp returned and he felt bad leaving him there. After speaking with my mom, they came up with a plan for him to go to the house and ask them if he could take Tramp because he had really grown attached to him. They said yes instantly. Unfortunately for my nephew, his grandfather (my sister's family lived in his house and cared for him) changed his mind and  said no to Tramp. 

I decided to adopt Tramp because I thought he'd be good company for Truvy. I was now single and Truvy, who was used to having a stay-at-home daddy and a big yellow lab for company while I was at work, was now single too. They got along great but Truvy is a true alfa dog and Tramp is more like a laid back surfer dude who really likes to chill out.

I named Tramp after the Tramp in Lady and the Tramp because of his desire to take off. It was the night I chased after him that I said, "If we ever get him back we should name him Tramp." After all these years, he'll still take off but I've come to the conclusion that he's not running away so much as he's running to something. He has grown much more affectionate, playful and loving. 

Tramp's favorite spot only he's usually sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment