Monday, May 9, 2011

RECYCLING POTATO SKINS


I was making mashed potatoes for my family's dinner yesterday and was going to throw out the skins like I always do but then I remembered reading that potatoes have over 1100 mgs of potassium (mostly in the skin) compared to bananas which have about 450 mgs (not including the skin) so I decided to see what would happen if I roasted them. (I'm sure my recipe is only original to me but then again, maybe not.)

A little kosher salt, fresh black pepper, a drizzle or two of a good olive oil and about 25 minutes in a 425 degree oven and YUM! They tasted a bit like potato chips but better and since I'm a terrible potato peeler, some were thicker and others were thin and very crispy. As word  got out, they began getting picked off and I almost didn't have any left to photograph.

I'll be making these every time I make mashed potatoes from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment