Monday, March 1, 2010

5 FOR / 5 AGAINST: THE CRAZIES

The Crazies is a surprisingly good movie, once I got to see it. I originally went on Friday but 20 minutes into it, and at a key point, the film broke. So I took my free pass and tried again today with great success.

Something is making the people, in a very small town on the very outskirts of Sioux City, Iowa, crazy. That's the entire plot but they do wonders with it. I don't think anyone goes into a film of this genre with high expectations but The Crazies manages to keep your heart racing and head guessing.

5 FOR:

  1. Once I was able to shake the feeling that this was a remake of The Happening, I really enjoyed The Crazies. These characters were smart and there were very few instances where you wanted to scream, "Don't do that!"
  2. The pacing is excellent. The action scenes are intense, clever, believable and had my heart racing but were not too drawn out. The transitions were interesting and moved the story along without being mindless and boring.
  3. I enjoyed who got killed and there was no mercy as to who and why. Just carnage.
  4. How and why people become crazy is slowly revealed and satisfying if not original.
  5. All in all, a movie that accomplishes what it sets out and is supposed to do. I think it compares very favorably to 28 Days Later in not in originality at least in entertainment.
5 AGAINST:
  1. I spent too much time thinking this was exactly like The Happening only instead of suicides we had homicides but The Crazies is a far superior film with few plot flaws.
  2. The Sheriff must watch a ton of movies because he figured out what was happening way to quickly.
  3. May small towns are different but I know if my landlines and cell phones and internet and water all ceased working at the same time, I'd totally freak out!
  4. I found it confusing that not all the crazies went crazy the same way. I didn't like that they could talk and work together but this did make for some really great scenes.
  5. I would think that the two smartest characters would assume and vocalize that having a crazy's blood pour into you open wound would infect you for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment