Friday, April 15, 2011

HOW'S THIS FOR AN IDEA?

I blame OJ. The stupid networks all thought that America would rather watch the trial then their soaps - they were wrong. That's when I stopped watching All My Children. I think thats when most people stopped watching and was the first nail in the soap's coffin.

I grew up watching AMC. I would sit with my mom and we'd watch it together. Even when I wasn't able to watch, remember there were no vcr's or dvr's, I knew what was going on in Pine Valley. I actually met Susan Lucci once! I was going into Lord & Taylor's when I saw this woman loaded down with packages so I held the door open for her and then I told her I'd help with the other door too. That's when I realized who it was! She said, and I'll never forget her words, "Thank you soo much. What a nice young man you are."

So here's my idea. Instead of completely canceling the soaps, why not rework them into 1.5 hour weekly shows for Friday or Saturday night? There is no original programing on those night anymore and I think the demographics for soap watchers would match up well with those who stay home on those nights as well.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment