Monday, April 18, 2011

PORK CHOPS AND SAUERKRAUT: SWELL

Not a photo of this recipe but close and I hate writing a photo-free post.
Forgive the Peter Brady reference. This is a super easy, quick and absolutely delicious dish suitable for every night or special occasions.

Notes before you start:
  1. I use bone-in chops because it's what I can get and since they're sold in packs of three, I make three and there's more then enough sauerkraut for each chop.
  2. I can never get fresh dill and so I use dried. I forgot it once and it made a huge difference in the yumminess of the dish. Sorta like popcorn without the salt.
  3. I don't rinse the sauerkraut but do drain it well. Also, since sauerkraut varies in flavor from brand to brand, this is another flavor variable. I use a kosher brand found in the refrigerator section.
  4. Sorry for the lack of pictures but my batteries need replacing. 
Ingredients
  • 1 slice of lean bacon, chopped
  • 1 small onion, sliced thin
  • 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut (about 1/2 pound), rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • two 1-inch-thick loin pork chops
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
Preparation 
In a heavy saucepan cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until it is crisp, add the onion, and the caraway seeds, and cook the mixture, stirring, until the onion is golden. Add the sauerkraut and the apple juice and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes.

While the sauerkraut mixture is the simmering, sprinkle both sides of the chops with salt, let the chops stand between layers of paper towel for 10 minutes, and season them with pepper. In a heavy skillet (I love my cast iron pan for this) heat the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it sauté the chops for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until they are just cooked through. Stir 1 tablespoon of the dill into the sauerkraut mixture and transfer the mixture to a heated platter. Top the sauerkraut mixture with the chops and sprinkle the chops with the remaining 1 tablespoon dill.

If you make these, ENJOY! and let me know how much you love them. Oh, they reheat very nicely in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment