Monday, July 23, 2012

CHICK-FIL-A SANDWICH: YA, I MADE IT

I was a late comer to Chick-Fil-A mostly because there are none in the Long Island area or along the NJ Turnpike. When I finally had one I loved it and the chicken nuggets. I eat way too much fast food and Chick-Fil-A became my favorite. I even started planning my trips between DC and Long Island so that I could eat there. It was a special treat but one thoroughly enjoyed. I can be easy that way.

I was very disappointed when it was revealed that they donated to anti-gay hate groups. I have no issues with them being a christian based company and actually like it that they are closed on Sundays. I think retail has gone a bit nuts with the hours they are keeping and being very disrespectful to both their employees and customers.

Anyway, I don't eat there any more which is fairly easy since I don't live anywhere near one but as much as I long for that greasy yumminess (the waffle fries are only okay) until they change their policy neither they nor my waistline will be enjoying a Chic-Fil-A  sandwich or nuggets.

Last week, Alexander of Voenix Rising, posted the below video from Hilah Cooking for a Chick-Fil-Gay sandwich and it seemed easy enough so I made it.

In my first attempt, it came out good and tasty but tasted more like the McDonald's Southern Style sandwich than the Chick-Fil-A. Good but a pale comparison. I think the fact that I had to use vegetable oil instead of peanut oil (I went to 4 supermarkets! and no one sold it) may have been the difference or it could be the type of pickle juice. I'll make it again and see if it turns out better. The recipe follows the video.


One adjustment I made to the process:
I put the cutlet in a ziplock bag to tenderized and used the jar of pickles 
to do
the pounding since I don't have a tenderizer. This also allowed me to use the bag
to marinate the cutlets in the pickle juice - quicker, easier and cleaner than Hilah's method.




*Use a regular skinless cutlet and not the thin sliced or BBQ style.
** I followed the recipe exactly.

Chick-Fil-A Copycat
4.9 from 38 reviews
Print
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup pickle juice (sour dill is my favorite)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • Optional: up to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a spicy sandwich
  • Oil for frying (about a cup)
  • For serving: Buns (buttered and toasted) and pickle slices!
Instructions
  1. Wrap the chicken loosely between plastic wrap and pound gently with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until about 1/2 inch thick all around.
  2. Cut into two pieces, as even as possible.
  3. Marinate in the pickle juice for 30 minutes to one hour (add a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce now for a spicy sandwich).
  4. Beat the egg with the milk in a bowl.
  5. Combine the flour, sugar, and spices in another bowl.
  6. Dip the chicken pieces each into the egg on both sides, then coat in flour on both sides.
  7. Heat the oil in a skillet (1/2 inch deep) to about 345-350.
  8. Fry each cutlet for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.
  9. Blot on paper and serve on toasted buns with pickle slices.
Notes
I’ve used peanut oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil, and grapeseed oil all with fine results. Peanut oil is what CFA uses, I believe.
Also, if you’d prefer to bake: substitute bread crumbs (Panko if you got em) for the flour and coat as directed. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
*Not exactly, but pretty close!



No comments:

Post a Comment