Friday, April 23, 2010

KATHY GRIFFIN: OFFICIAL BOOK CLUB SELECTION


I'm a little late getting around to reading Kathy's Official Book Club Selection but hey, I have a lot of blogs to read every day and I've just started Stephen King's Under the Dome and it's big one. (haha..big one)

I really enjoy Kathy's point of view in her humor and have been a fan at least since her Suddenly Susan days. Her love and support of the GLBT community is just a bonus. I thank Bravo for bringing us, in addition to Queer Eye, Top Chef, Project Runway and many others,  Kathy's Life on the D-List and her stand-up specials. This may sound a bit blonde of me, but somehow I missed her publicity tour when the book was released and didn't read any reviews so I was somewhat surprised that this is actually an autobiography.

If you like Kathy then you'll really enjoy this light but insightful telling of her life. She holds nothing back in revealing her body issues, being molested by her brother and her life as a slut. What I especially appreciate learning about Kathy is how driven she was to succeed, how hard she worked to get there and how loving and supportive her parents were of her dreams. Along the way are very candid tales of her associations with other celebrities like Lisa Kudrow, Janeane Garofalo, Margaret Cho, Brook Shields, Andy Dick and many more. One of the most enjoyable chapters is just a collection of email exchanges between her and Steve Wozniak. This is not a laugh out loud funny telling of her life but it is humorous and gets us closer to Kathy the person and not just the persona we see on stage and tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment