Friday, February 26, 2010

5 FOR / 5 AGAINST: SHUTTER ISLAND


All the previews for Shutter Island gave me the impression that I was going to see a movie with supernatural elements, what I saw was a very well crafted movie that kept me guessing even after I thought I had figured it out. Which I did.

From Oscar®-winning director Martin Scorsese, "Shutter Island" is the story of two U.S. marshals, Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo), who are summoned, in 1952,  to a remote and barren island off the coast of Massachusetts to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a murderess from the island’s fortress-like hospital for the criminally insane.

5 FOR:

  1. The plot is wonderfully detailed and symmetrical. Sometimes movies like this make you feel like if you zone out for a minute you'll miss the whole movie but not here. 
  2. The cinematography is breathtaking and inspired, especially the dream/flashbacks. My favorite occurs in dream about his wife. Another great detail here is the contrast of the dreams/flashbacks in the beginning of the film vs. the end of the film. To explain more could be spoilery.
  3. There is a scene, small and not important to the plot of the film, that is so creepy that I pulled my feet up onto my seat for several minutes before I put them back down and I noticed that I wasn't the only one. I love when a movie creeps me out.
  4. Jacke Earl Haley gives a riveting and pivoting performance. 
  5. See this film. It is intelligent, challenging, entertaining and beautifully filmed. You'll be glad you did.
5 AGAINST:
  1. I like Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor and think he is more talented than most but it wasn't until about 20 mins into the film that I stopped thinking of Boston Rob from Survivor. If you don't know who Boston Rob is, then this isn't an Against for you.
  2. The film gave me the feeling of being just a bit slow. I don't think it was but it just gave me that feeling and it only lasted for the first 30 mins or so.
  3. Is it wrong to want to see more crazy and frightening patients? 
  4. The biggest problem I had with this film, and it was my problem and not the film's, is that I was expecting 
  5. For such a well detailed film, there were three glaring errors that really annoyed me. First was the number of staff on the island. It had to be 200-300 for just 67 patients. Second, after the storm and the over abundant staff is still trying to catch the patients, there are people cleaning up after the storm, swinging axes while super-dangerously-criminally-insane people are running around them. And finally, ***this is spoilery*** the final shot of the orderly caring the shinny and pointy surgical instrument was totally wrong and done just to elicit a response from the audience.      











No comments:

Post a Comment