Wednesday, February 24, 2010

WHAT AMERICAN ACCENT DO YOU HAVE?

This test pretty much nailed me. I spent the first 25 years of my life on Long Island and never had a strong accent but when I entered my twenties, I started working on minimizing it. Then I went to grad school in MA and worked even harder at minimizing my accent. After grad school, I moved to DC and most people there were surprised to learn I was a New Yorker. Most could place me in the northeast but had to guess from which part.

After spending more than 15 years in DC I still have a northeast accent, and still find that certain words will tongue-tie me. I can't tell you which ones, but it's funny when it happens.
What American accent do you really have?
Your Result: Northern
 
Your accent is Northern, which used to be the media standard in the '50s and '60s.  Your accent could either be Inland Northern (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo) or the more broadcasting-friendly Upstate NY/Western New England accent.  If you have the Inland North accent, outsiders probably ask you a lot if you're from Chicago or Wisconsin.
Northeastern
 
Mid-Atlantic
 
Midland
 
North Central
 
Southern
 
Northeast New England
 
Western
 
What American accent do you really have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

No comments:

Post a Comment