Tuesday, January 5, 2010

5 FOR / 5 AGAINST: IT'S COMPLICATED


I've been in a funk the past few days and hoped seeing It's Complicated would make me feel better and IT DID! This is really a wonderful movie and will meet or exceed all your expectations. SEE IT!

You've seen the previews and they tell the story. Meryl has been divorced from Alec for 10 years when circumstances (their son's college graduation) throw them together and they begin an affair just as Meryl is being courted by her architect, Steve Martin.

This is a crazy great movie. Funny, warm, sexy, funny, sensitive, smart, heart wrenching, funny, sexy, a bit of slapstick, sophisticated and did I say funny because it's very funny.

5 FOR:
  1. Alec Baldwin!!! As an actor I think he's fine but this role will earn him lots of awards. I loved him and he has made me a fan!
  2. Alec Baldwin - he not only steals this movie, he drives away with it in a Lamborghini!! He is funny, smart, sexy, charming, swarmy, and delivers all of the movie's best lines. Cupping Meryl's vajayjay he breathlessly sighs, "Ahhh, home sweet home." "I'm glad you've stopped getting your bikini line waxed. I love you native!" I think I peed!
  3. The chemistry between Alec and Meryl drives the movie and the laughs.
  4. The computer cam scene is 100 times funnier in its entirety and is one of the funniest I've seen in years! The audience and I laughed well into the next scene.
  5. John Krasinski is just delightful and really compliments each of his scenes.




5 AGAINST:
  1. Steve Martin. I'm normally a fan but not in this movie. He has no chemistry with Meryl and his character is totally unappealing. Fortunately, his role is minor.
  2. Steve Martin's face. It looks totally unnatural and ironically, he appears just after Meryl's visit to the plastic surgeon where she goes off on not wanting to look like those women who look so plastic.
  3. We don't get to see the new addition to Meryl's house and Lazy Circles complained that Meryl's life was too perfect when he saw her picking flawless tomatoes from her perfect garden. This observation made me see her character as a nice Martha Stuart without the tv show or the bitchy attitude.
  4. Meryl laughs too much and it becomes distracting.
  5. Hunter Parish. This really isn't a complaint as it is an observation and I'm out of AGAINSTS. This kid has so many teeth he must be related to the Osmonds and I kept expecting his character to either be out or come out. He is cute though.

No comments:

Post a Comment